Iran has filed a draft containing the entire negotiations with China and attended by other 5+1 members (the US, UK, France, Russia, and Germany) on redesigning the Arak reactor and has sent it to China for consideration, Atomic Energy Organization of Iran spokesman Behrooz Kamalvandi said.
The works concerning the redesign of the reactor are progressing well and it can be said that the framework has been identified, he told .
“We are now talking over what parts of the job could be carried out by China in cooperation with other members of the sextet and what parts we could do.”
He added that the parts of the redesign that should be carried out by Iran are being done at a fast pace.
The reactor was one of the main topics in long discussions between Iran and the six powers which led to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action on July 14, 2015.
According to the agreement, Iran has to change the function of the reactor so that it would meet the powers’ concern that it could not be used for military intentions.
Also known as IR-40, the ractor is a 40 megawatt (thermal) heavy water unit. The redesign is meant to minimize its plutonium production and avoid production of weapons-grade plutonium. Iran also agreed to remove the reactor core or calandria and fill it with concrete to render it unusable, and to export all spent fuel within one year of its removal from the reactor. On 14 January 2016, Iran stated that the core of the reactor had been removed and that it would be filled up with concrete.